Monday, April 25, 2011

Rough Theater

Response

First of all, I just realized that last weeks blog was to write a response to the rough theater reading we had, I got confused and wrote about the 48 video race.  My bad.  :(

Okay now...when reading the rough theater article, it made me think about all the different mediums that have been past down through the years as a way to textually bring across an artist vision.  For example, right now I am working on several different projects, one is a painting of a lotus flower.  To create my flower I drew a grid on my canvas and scaled the flower, using a pencil the draw, I also used a sharpie, a paint brush and also a palette knife, bring across the illusion of a floating flower.

Also with the just recent video race, I used such programs as Maya and the original paint program on windows as well as a scanner, to bring all of my images together to make a whole film.  But what if this were thirty years ago and I had the same assignment, what would I have done?  Not trying to imply that the progression of technology is better than the previous means, but would take some wide technique and thinking outside of the box to use other means that people view as the old way.

Every medium has its great quality and I think that no matter how old the form may be, I think it is necessary for use to know and learn about them.  Them biggest example in cinema that comes to mind in using different early forms mixed with modern is in the Japanese New Wave, esp. the use of bunraku, Japanese puppet theater in Oshima's Double Suicide: Japanese Summer. (1967)  

No comments:

Post a Comment